Tips for Building a Personal Brand
Dan Cockerell was recently a guest on the Jody Maberry Show. As a follow up to that episode, Dan Cockerell asks me three questions.
Dan recently left his role of Vice-President of the Magic Kingdom to launch his own business. His three questions are related to building a personal brand, be it getting financial help from Porte Brown for the transition or setting up ways to keep organized and focused.
What advice do you have for someone leaving the corporate world and starting their own business?
- Know what you want to be known for.
- Read and implement Building a StoryBrand by Donald Miller.
- Work with the right people to help you get work done. I work with a podcast editor, an assistant, someone to build sales funnels, and a graphic designer.
What are some apps or programs you use to run your business and keep your life organized?
- Slack – This will allow to communicate with your team and cut down on email.
- ConvertKit – Start building an email list as soon as possible.
- Quickbooks Online – Keep your finances and accounting in order from the beginning.
- Grammarly – This makes sure my grammar is acceptable.
- Wunderlist – This will help you keep track of everything.
- iNaturalist – Unrelated to business, but I love this app. This app helps me identify plants, insects, and animals.
What is your best 2 or 3 tips to create a great podcast?
- Position yourself as an authority on your topic.
- Gear your show to one person, not hundreds.
- Be willing to talk about small topics on your show. As an example, here is an episode I did about outgoing voicemail.